Original Church (1892)
God’s blessing on the undertaking of the original church was apparent, for the winter of 1891-92 was very mild and the building was soon completed. The total cost of the new church was $1,682.00 of which 585.00 was spent for labor and $1097.00 for material. The business men of the city had donated $1185.00 and the balance of $500.00 was loaned to the parish on April 19, 1892 by Mr. William Ryan. The building was very well constructed for a few years later it withstood a severe storm which uprooted many trees and damaged several buildings in the surrounding country.
The first high Mass in this church was sung by Father Coffey on February 9, 1892 with William Lampe serving as organist and Emil and Joseph as acolytes.
Nuns / School
Saint Thomas parochial school operated successful from 1893 to June 1972. The school was the object of much solicitude from pastors, teachers and laymen. Many sacrifices were made by all in order that the children of the parish might be instructed in their religion as well as in the secular subjects. On Easter Monday 1893 the school formally opened. The teaching staff consisted of two teachers, Sister Regina and Sister Melanie, members of the Sisters of Divine Providence, and about 50 about children enrolled.
Timeline w/ Pastors who served
Current Church (1950)
St. Thomas’s present church was dedicated on September 24, 1950. It was dedicated by Bishop Augustine Danglmayr of Dallas. The new church was started in January with the razing of the old one by the members under the direction of their priest, Father Paul Charcut.
How to purchase/order Centennial Book (pricing, ordering info)
You can purchase church history books by calling or coming by the church office.
The price are:
$15.00 for the Golden Jubilee History Book (1891-1941)
& / or
$35.00 for the Centennial History Book (1891-1991)